Navigation for Nordic Walkers 2 Day Course - Bronze Award (NNAS) - 7th and 8th July 2017
2 Day Nordic Walking Course - Basic Navigation Techniques (Bronze Award for the NNAS)
Date: 7th and 8th July 2017
Who is it for?
- Those who want to have a National Navigation Award Scheme (NNAS) Bronze Award
- Anybody looking to pass their Walking Leader Qualification (this will act as course work and is not a counting course towards that qualification)
- Anybody who wants to get a further and deeper understanding of navigation using a map & compass that a 1 day course cannot offer
- For use when planning your walks for your groups
- Personal use for venturing into the hills & mountains
- Those who want to start trail running in the mountains
What are the benefits?
- Gain a deeper understanding on how to use a map & compass in order to navigate a chosen route, across different scales of maps.
- Grow your confidence to take people further afield, but with-in your qualification's perimeter's
- Gain a bronze NNAS certificate to show you have the skills (continued personal development)
- Use this course to help you gain your Walking Leader Qualification (It will set you on the right track, giving you a good understanding of navigation, not give you the course work or qualification)
- Increase your earning potential by being able to plan breath taking routes
What will I learn?
- How to read a map, understand contours & features
- How to use a compass in conjunction with your map
- How to orientate your map
- How to relate land features around you accurately to your map
- How to use features along your chosen route to identify your location at any given moment
- How to set a bearing
- How to re-locate, should you become miss-placed (we don't like to say lost!)
- How to use timing and pacing in order to find your chosen control point/location
- Demonstrate an understanding of the Countryside Code, knowledge of what equipment is suitable for the fells and emergency procedures that are relevant
- How to plan a route
- Some safe navigational techniques
- Identify hazards
Level and entry requirements
This is an entry-level course into navigation for personal development & will give you a NNAS (National Navigation Award Scheme) Bronze Award, assuming you are able to demonstrate a good understanding and application of the skills being learnt on the course.
No qualifications are needed in order to participate on this 2 day course.
What do I need?
- Compass Harvey/BMC 1:40'000 map of the Lake District and Ordnance Survey 1:25'000 OL5 Map
- Full waterproof cover (Jacket and Pants), these must be taped seems, please call to discuss if your not sure.
- Clothing suitable for the countryside & time of year - We will not be moving quickly, so please account for that in your clothing selection.
- 1 spare warm top, not cotton please. Wool or synthetic will be fine
- Spare clothing for day 2, should your day 1 clothing get wet.
- Suitable footwear for wet ground, preferably off road walking/running shoes suitable for NW.
- Hat & Gloves x 2
- Lunch, day-food & a water flask.
Mountain Run will supply:
- A map of the local area we are to use
- The location is Glenridding Public Hall, Glenridding, CA11 0PA.
- Tea/Coffee at the event location.
- Notes for you to take away, as there is always a lot to absorb.
- A NNAS Bronze Award certificate, assuming you demonstrate a good understanding of the 2 days of learning & application.
How to get there:
- Drive to Glenridding via the A592 (either from the South [Kirkstone Pass] or the North [Junc 40 M6/Penrith]
- Park in the main carpark next to the Ullswater Information Centre
- Walk over the main bridge and take a left turn just before the local shop 'Sharmans', this is directly you step off the bridge.
- Walk up the road for 300m passing CatstyCam Outdoors on your left and the Glenridding Public Hall is on your right.
- Below is a image of what your looking for!
Course duration and delivery
2-day theory & practical based course lasting 14 hours in total
£135 for qualified level 2 CYQ NW Instructors
£190 for non-qualified participants (NWUK members to the Passport Scheme receive a discount for this course - pay £150.00 - See Membership info for NWUK)
Please email Kaye Lay at NWUK to book this course - firstname.lastname@example.org